Sometimes the strangest things happen and the more I painted on the egg tempera painting I started the other day, the more trouble I had with it!
I have always primed my hardboard myself with gesso, putting on about 4 to 6 coats of gesso, going in different directions and sanding between coats until it is smooth as silk. This time I bought some pre-primed panels. The ad in Dick Blick catalog suggested for egg tempera.
I am using ready made egg tempera from Rowney and Sennelier.
The paint would just not stick to the surface!!It was totally impossible. Even after 2 days of drying, a damp brush would pick up the pigment! So I primed my own panel and it is taking the paint beautifully (the bottom one). I can't tell you the time I spent on the top one, and the bottom one so far I have done maybe 30 minutes of painting. Well, things like this happen and we learn things. I know for certain...I will not be using factory primed panels again! I will show you my progress on this tomorrow. Cheers!
Radishes - a second sowing
1 day ago