Flower Pots at Heathcote

Flower Pots at Heathcote
9x12 acrylic on canvas

Saturday, July 2, 2011

"In the Garden"



"In The Garden"


11 x 14 watercolor


$150


I did a bunch of masking in this painting. First, I painted lightly in the hollyhocks and the delphinium and the leaves in the left hand corner. Then I painted on a mask over all the flowers and leaves very quickly, not precisely. Then I washed the whole thing with strong cobalt blue and Permanent Rose and Quinacridone Gold. I allowed the paint to run and drip by holding the piece up and even blowing on it in places. When dry, I removed the mask and proceeded to "clean up" the composition, add the tree and the bird for center of interest. It was an experiment and I thought it turned out pretty good. The bird is supposed to represent a red winged blackbird. Your comments are welcome! I love hearing from you. Hope you are having a good weekend and Happy Fourth!

2 comments:

  1. I cant imagine all those methods you used in painting this but it turned out to be such a lovely piece Egretta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your techniques and experiments are wonderfully successful in this painting. I truly captures the feeling of all that lush vegetation.

    ReplyDelete