Flower Pots at Heathcote

Flower Pots at Heathcote
9x12 acrylic on canvas

Monday, January 31, 2011

"Granny's Quilt"


"Granny's Quilt"
22 x 36 acrylic
SOLD
This one is sold, but I may have others similar on older posts. Please scroll down and take a look! I was inspired by some vines growing at the side of my property, so I added some sort of structure and a garden path and an old chair with grandmother's flower basket quilt draped over it. Click on it for a closer view.
I am busy working on a commission (don't like to take them, but I did this one)! The reason I don't like doing commissions is that I tend to stew over them, trying to please someone else rather than please myself! That is a bad thing, as often whoever you are painting for doesn't have a clue about the elements of art or whether there is balance, center of interest, etc. They often have a pre-conceived idea as to how the painting needs to look and it may be near impossible to accomplish what is in their head! Plus it may not please the artist at all. I have had people ask me to whiten someone's teeth in a painting (heaven forbid!--all you see, then, is glaring white teeth). Once a lady wanted the front of a house AND the back of the house in the same painting! I tried to explain that if you saw the front, you could not see the back. She didn't get it. So we went outside and stood in front of my house. Can you see the back?, I asked. "No, she said, " but you are an artist so you can put it in." She had brought photos to work from of both the front and the back of a house. It took a very long time, but I finally convinced her it could not be done.
Anyway, I will post a new painting as soon as I can. Right now, my mind is completely on the painting commission and I am posting older paintings I have sold. But keep looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment